The GoPro is more than a camera, it is an idea that can create many other ideas, hence, the GoPro movement and its large following; making it the highest selling brand of cameras.
GoPro is the action camera of choice as it is lightweight, compact, and mountable.The GoPro camera can capture still photos and video in high-definition through wide-angle lens while being remotely controlled or configured to work automatically.
It is often used in extreme action video photography. In fact, the GoPro was founded by Nick Woodman as a result of the problem he faced capturing photos of himself surfing. At the initial stages of starting the GoPro company, Woodman was selling sea shell necklaces, belts, and fashionable camera straps that he bought on his travels to Asia out of his Volkswagen van on the Californian coast to make enough money. In 2004, the company sold its first camera (which used 35mm film). A decade later, in 2014, GoPro is now selling fixed-lens high-definition video cameras with a wide 170 degree angle which can be used to create 3D videos by pairing two or more cameras together.
As of October 2014 GoPro has started selling three new fixed-lens cameras in addition their previous models, two without viewfinders and the latest one including a touchscreen viewfinder. The GoProHERO4 has a 2-bit LCD on the front of the camera which allows access to its menu system that can be controlled by the front and top shutter buttons. The GoPro HERO4 can capture still images from 5 to 12 megapixels. The cameras include a clear protective cover with a glass lens that is rated shockproof and waterproof to 131 feet (40 m), with a quick-release buckle on the top and threads at the bottom which allows it to be attached to mounts. The protective cover has metal buttons that link to the camera’s controls and has a feature to allow audio recording when the camera is used with a mount.
GoPro has recently updated their new model of cameras with improved 4K video recording and built-in touchscreen. As for the size and shape of the GoPro cameras, it hasn’t changed much in recent years. The standard dimensions of these actioncams remain at 41mm (length vertically) x 59mm (width horizontally) x 21/30mm (depth measurement of the camera depending on whether the protruding lens is taken into account).
What’s the difference between the GoPro Hero 3 and GoPro Hero 4? The main improvement is that the GoPro Hero 4 has improved low light performance and a mono microphone with twice the dynamic range. The GoPro Hero 4 is slightly lighter than the GoPro Hero 3. TheGoPro Hero4 Black can do 4K recordings with 30 frames per second (FMS) and 2.7 K at 50 fps. None of the previous models such as the GoPro Hero 3 Black could achieve this awesome shooting capability.
If you’re a newbie in the GoPro movement or you’re looking for something affordable, there’s also something for you. The New GoPro Hero 4 is the perfect entry-level GoPro, and is much cheaper ($129.99) than the GoPro Hero4 Silver and Black models. It can capture 1080p HD video at 30 frames per second or 720p HD video at 60 fps, as well as 5-megapixel stills. .Another model you can try is the GoPro Hero 3 White. It features 1080p30 video and offers a variety of photo modes — choose from 5MP single photos, Time Lapse photos or Burst photos up to 3 frames per second. Built-in Wi-Fi enables you to control the camera remotely plus preview, play back and share photos and videos with the GoPro App. The GoPro Hero 3 White costs $199.99.
What sets GoPro apart from its rivals? – The incredible technological accessories and mounts that enable you to go anywhere and everywhere with your GoPro. Here are some of the top ten mounts that are available now:
- DJI Phantom quad copter: enables shooting aerial footage. This spectacular piece of technology even features an ingenious position-hold feature that uses the built-in GPS and autopilot to suspend the craft in a seemingly motionless manner in the air. Pair the Phantom quad copter with the GoPro wireless app, and you can monitor what you’re going to film, at least for as long as the connection between camera and iPad holds out.
- Fat Gecko Kaboom: enabling new and interesting shoot angles. It is basically a lightweight pole that can be handheld or attached to something else. The kaboom’s length can be adjusted from 50.8cm up to 152.4cm, with a grip at one end and standard quarter-inch thread at the other. It includes everything else you need to attach your GoPro to the kaboom.
- Fotodiox tripod adapter: high quality tripod mount for GoPro that enables you to attach your camera to a standard photographic tripod. It is made out of a high impact, lightweight aluminium, and is available in different colours.
- K-edge bike mount: enables you to mount your GoPro directly to your bike’s handle bar. The grip provided by this mount holds the GoPro firmly with no chance of movement.
- Jaws Flex clamp: enables you to attach a GoPro quickly and easily to almost anything you can clamp. What sets the Jaws apart from other clamps is that it does not need any extra bolts or sticky pads like most of the other mounts.
- Fotodiox Pro WonderPana Go Essential Kit: brings an element of pro photography to your GoPro shots and footage. This essential photographic filter kit includes three glass filters; a UV (Ultra Violet) to protect the lens, CPL (Circular Polariser) to boost clouds and contrast, and an ND8 (Neutral Density 8, 3-stop) for shooting in bright conditions.
- GoPro suction cup: enables you to attach your GoPro to a car, window, boat, or anything that the sucker will clamp to.
- LCD Touch BacPac: attaches directly to the back of the GoPro and instantaneously adds a clear live view picture to your camera. The LCD Touch BacPacreplays the footage and audio through the small built-in speaker or through the headphone socket. It’s a very user friendly touch screen device.
- X-Sories Kite line mount: enables you to get a bird’s eye view of your kiting.
- GoPro harness: attaches around the body, positioning the GoPro at the center of your chest and enabling capturing smooth footage.
If you’re on a budget, and can’t afford the accessories from GoPro or the top ten above, then try getting some third-party accessories from areas like Bukit Bintang at your own risk!
To sum it all up, the GoPro cameras can add a whole new perspective to your life, so go ahead, be a hero, get a GoPro.