The motorcycle taxi service was introduced in 2015 by Nabil Feisal Bamadhaj, the chief executive officer of the Dego Service Provider. It commenced operations in November 2016 with a total of 5000 registered riders of Dego. However, after three months of operating on a reservation accepted up to 20,000, the Dego Service Provider was forced to cease its service because the government at that time banned the partnership service. In line with the decision to discontinue the service, the Deputy Minister of Transport at that time voiced concern for the government over the safety of road users which caused the service to be halted.
The Dego Ride has now re-entered the Malaysian market after Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman suggested that the motorcycle taxi service be implemented in Malaysia as it has been implemented in Indonesia known as Gojek. This is following the announcement made by Minister of Transport Anthony Loke that has allowed any company to offer a motorcycle taxi service with a six month trial period. During this time, service providers can start operations and test the services provided.
Dego Rider Terms and Conditions
- Only Malaysians 18 years of age and above with a full B2 motorcycle license and free of criminal records are eligible to ride with the Dego Ride.
- Only those who own a motorcycle over 150cc can apply to become riders with the company. Applications from those who own a modified motorcycle will not be accepted.
Follow the instructions below to register and apply as a Dego Rider:
- Download the Dego Service Provider application through mobile either using Android or iOS
- Upload all relevant documents into the apps (IC, driving license, road tax, vehicle grant and cover note)
- Dego Service Provider will verify and approve your account within 72 hours
- You will receive a notification that your registration has been approved
- After receiving the approval notification, please visit the office, bring your IC and driving license to complete application process
- You may activate e-Wallet on the app after completing application
How to Make a Reservation
- Each passenger can book via the Dego App which can be downloaded using Google Play or the Apple Store. Passengers are only allowed to use this service according to their gender.
- The Dego service is only available for travel within 10km of the current location of the passenger. Each first 3km of service charge is RM 3 while the additional charge is RM 1 for each next kilometer.
For starters, the Dego Ride only operates around the Klang Valley, Putrajaya and Shah Alam Only and its services will be expanded if received. As of today, Dego Service Provider has received up to 4,000 applications for Dego riders. However, it is subject to the stipulated conditions and only 700 people are eligible to start the opera